Friday, March 29, 2013

Sanya - part 2 the bus ride


We arrived in Sanya Phoenix Airport just after 1:00 and decided to extend our transport luck and take a bus into town before we headed up into the hills to the rainforest. With a little help from the bus driver and a nice Chinese family, like us, just arriving, we figured out our stop and off we went. I gave the driver a 10RMB note and was looking for 2RMB change but I never received it; I was not sure how to ask for it in Chinese. All the seats were occupied with several us standing, ME got a seat. As we rode along we made several stops picking up a few people each time. Within several miles the bus was completely full.  The driver was a real character, between honking this horn at everything that came vaguely close to the  bus, he was spitting out the window and clearing his nose, I think, out the window too. When the bus got too full in the front he collected money from the front door and told people to use the side door to enter the bus. At one stop a peasant women boarded the bus with a big basket of little do-dads to sell. There was this heated argument with the driver for several minutes until she backed down and got off the bus. We continued along picking up people at every stop, I thought the bus was going to burst with people. We finally entered town and within several stops there was only a few left on the bus. We were reminded by the driver that our stop was coming up. ME asked me if I was going to ask for my 2RMB change, I said no that I was thinking of giving him another 10RMB for that great entertaining ride we were just on. 

the road into town, lined with light poles powdered by wind and solar 

No comments:

Post a Comment